You will work as a group to finish a study from this dissection ( 1 study per group – divide the work! ) . Reports will be graded for content. thoroughness and grounds of understanding. every bit good as coherency and spruceness.
Submit one study per group ; each participant must bespeak what s/he contributed to the dissection and study.
Reports must be written neatly in bluish or black ink OR may be word-processed.
Your descriptions should utilize right anatomical footings and be anatomically relevant – that is. visual aspect. texture. location. whether or non blood vass are plentiful. size. weight. etc.
Divide the work between group members as follows:
1. Drawings – External and internal
2. Introduction. Background. Purpose and External observations
3. Thorax observations
4. Abdomens observations
5. Decisions – Each group member will compose a 1 paragraph decision of his/her portion in the dissection and what was learned from this experience. Include all group members’ decisions with the study.
The study must be formatted right and include the undermentioned subheadings:
Cover. Title & A ; Group members’ names
Introduction / Background and Purpose
Give some information about the rat as a theoretical account for human anatomy. Find out the categorization of the rat ( genus. species ) . Justify why it is appropriate to utilize rats for this introductory dissection. What features do the rat and human portion? What are the restrictions to utilizing the rat as a theoretical account for human anatomy? Be specific!
What was your intent in executing this lab? What did you hope to larn. and why was this lab geographic expedition a good exercising for that intent?
Observations and Descriptions
This will include three subdivisions. each written by a different group member ( see below ) : 1. External Observations. initial scratch and musculus construction ; ( this can be divided if 5 people were in the group ) 2. Exploration of the Thorax
3. Exploration of the Abdominopelvis
Include brief descriptions of techniques used to expose and research constructions of the rat. This should be detailed plenty that person experienced in dissection could utilize your study to steer their ain work.
Be certain to reply any inquiries that were included in the dissection protocol in the appropriate subdivision of the study.
Observations and descriptions should include visual aspect. location. texture ( what does it experience like? ) and weight of variety meats where indicated in the protocol. Please usage correct nomenclature when turn uping constructions in the rat. Identify the constituents of organic structure systems as you describe them ( e. g. . bosom is portion of cardiovascular system ) .
One group member will make drawings of the external constructions and ventral organic structure pit ( pectoral and abdominopelvic constructions may be in a individual diagram. ) Drawings do non hold to be beautiful! They should stand for what you saw in a simplified signifier. Color coding different structures/organs is really helpful. Label all constructions identified. I will non accept exposures in topographic point of drawings. nevertheless you are welcome to take images of your specimen to utilize when doing your drawings. Drawings must be done on unlined paper.
The study should be divided into subdivisions with subheadings:
1. External Structures – Observations and description of specimen ; weight ; bespeak whether your animate being was a fresh or preserved rat ; length ; 3 major divisions of the organic structure ; how organic structure proportions compare to human.
Indicate the stairss taken to take the tegument. technique used. and observations ( e. g. . visual aspect of musculus tissue with tegument removed ; connexion between tegument and implicit in musculus. etc. ) .
• Muscles of ventral organic structure pit – Describe the visual aspect of the musculuss. Did musculus fibres all run in the same way? Did you see fat sedimentations? White connective tissue? Compare the construction of the abdominal musculuss to musculuss of the legs. Describe the visual aspect of the hip articulation.
2. Thoracic pit constructions ( * ) – Describe the technique used to expose the thoracic pit. What did you have to cut?
• Describe the appearance/size/texture/location of the constructions of the pectoral pit: stop. lungs. bosom. Thymus ( if observed ) . windpipe. bronchial tube. etc. Did you see any major blood vass? Describe. State the map of the major variety meats / constructions of the pectoral pit. Report the weight and volume of the bosom.
3. Abdominopelvic pit structures – Describe variety meats in the abdominal pit ; include weight of any variety meats you measured. Include the undermentioned: Liver ( describe weight ) . tummy. little bowel. big bowel. lien. pancreas. mesentery ( suspends little bowel in abdominal pit ) . kidneys. vesica ( if observed ) . male or female generative variety meats. Describe any connexions you observed between variety meats ( e. g. . digestive variety meats. kidneys & amp ; vesica. etc. ) State the map of each organ system ( the short version. delight! )
• What organic structure pits were non explored in this activity? Why do you believe these countries would hold been hard to dissect in your specimen?
Discussion and Decisions
Each group member will compose a good concluding paragraph discoursing the dissection:
• What did you larn?
• How utile was this lab for your intent ( as stated at the beginning of the study ) ? • What are the benefits / disadvantages of this dissection? • What surprised you?
• What troubles did you meet?
• What organic structure systems are you must interested in analyzing in more item? Explain your reply.
Include all group members’ decisions ( on separate pages ) with the study.
Rating for this lab:
40 % Your part to the lab study
30 % Your part to the dissection
20 % Group grade – how good the group worked together to finish this dissection
10 % Clean up
This lab is deserving 100 points.
Good life lesson: Make certain your group study is presented as a consistent merchandise. It should non look like it was patched together by several different people right before category! Work together!