* Teenage Pregnancy has become an increasing societal job in the U. S. today. * Guttmacher. org ( research institute for sexual wellness ) states that an norm of 750. 000 adult females between ages 15-19 get pregnant every twelvemonth. * About 1/3 of all adolescent gestations end in abortion
* 10 % of all U. S. births are to teens
* 2/3 of all adolescent gestations occur among 18-19 twelvemonth olds Consequences of adolescent gestation
* Many adolescent female parents stop after a senior high school sheepskin or GED and do non go on on to college * 25 % of 15-24 twelvemonth old sexually active people account for half of all new STI’s each twelvemonth ( including HPV ) * Babies born to teens have higher hazard of low-birth rate Sociological Perspective
* Conflict theory position focal points on how poorness. economic inequality. and jobs in instruction contribute to adolescent gestation. What does conflict perspective say?
Harmonizing to text. teens from low socioeconomic backgrounds are more likely to go adolescent parents. Teenss with hapless wellness regimens more likely to bear babies of low-birth weight. prematureness. etc. Teenss who do ill in school lack educational aspiration. doing higher hazard of adolescent gestation. Three Solutions
* The National Campaign to Prevent Teen Pregnancy
* Planned Parenthood
* Communities of Color Teenage Pregnancy Prevention Act of 2010
What are their missions?
* National Campaign: organisation that raises awareness sing adolescent gestation. Uses the media. community service. and Education to distribute the message. * Planned Parenthood: organisation committed to supplying instruction & A ; medical attention for adult females fighting with gestation. Besides
provides preventives. medical advice. trials. etc. * Prevention Act of 2010: Introduced to H. R. in April 2010. Allows support for adolescent gestation protagonism plans. ( act still in legislative procedure ) . Effectiveness
Which solution is most effectual? Why?
* National Campaign – uses every available resource to educate community on adolescent gestation bar. * i. e. schools. federal support. media. etc.
Which solution is least effectual? Why?
* Communities of Color Teenage Pregnancy Prevention Act of 2010 – Since this act is still in its legislative procedure. it can non be enforced if it is non enacted.
Adolescent gestation in the media: Television
* “U. S. Teenage Pregnancies. Births and Abortions: National and State Trends and Trends by Race. ” Guttmacher Institute. N. p. . 1 Jan. 2010. Web. 14 Dec. 2010. & lt ; World Wide Web. guttmacher. org/pubs/USTPtrends * Mooney. Linda. David Knox. and Caroline Schacht. Understanding Social Problems. 7th Edition erectile dysfunction. Belmont: Wadsworth Cengage Learning. 2009. Print. * “The National Campaign to Prevent Teen and Unplanned Pregnancy. ” The National Campaign to Prevent Teen and Unplanned Pregnancy. N. p. . n. d. Web. 14 Dec. 2010. & lt ; hypertext transfer protocol: //www. thenationalcampaign. org * “Planned Parenthood. ” Planned Parenthood. N. p. . n. d. Web. 14 Dec. 2010. & lt ; hypertext transfer protocol: //www. plannedparenthood. org * “H. R. 5033–111th Congress: Communities of Color Teenage Pregnancy Prevention Act of 2010. ” GovTrack. us ( database of federal statute law ) . 2010. December 16. 2010 & lt ; hypertext transfer protocol: //www. govtrack. us/congress/bill. xpd? bill=h111-5033 & gt ;