Tendencies for Tourism in Europe
The European Travel Commission ( ETC ) has revised its papers ‘Megatrends of Tourism in Europe to the Year 2005 and Beyond ‘ on the footing of ongoing treatments with its members – the National Tourist Offices ( NTOs ) of Europe – and advice from the European Travel & A ; Tourism Action Group ( ETAG ) , whose members comprise international administrations stand foring the cardinal touristry industry sectors.
Changes in society – new ways of travel
Society alterations continuously, and trends – whether economic, societal or lifestyle – later impact on touristry, as touristry is an built-in portion of our society.
It is of import for the touristry sector to measure these alterations at an early phase. Existing policies sing merchandises and services, selling and investings, all demand appropriate accommodations or versions when penchants and behaviors develop otherwise from the manner they have done in the yesteryear.In the yesteryear, supply has ever dictated demand, whereas today the contrary is true. Increasing impregnation of the market and more self-asserting consumers, with more free disposable income and leisure clip, find the profitableness of providers in the touristry sector. Competition is going more volatile. Although some tendencies are supply-funded, it is besides of import to calculate tendencies in demand, as these tendencies form the footing for finding the clip and money required to do the relevant accommodations.
In this overview, we consider tendencies to be future developments that differ significantly from the past – both quantitatively or qualitatively. The chief aim of this analysis is to back up providers in their longer-term policy devising. The tendencies mentioned relate to Western society – and to Europe in specific for the following five old ages. They are based on assorted quantitative and qualitative tendency analyses and appraisals made by taking international touristry experts.Finally, analyzing tendencies leads us to the decision that every tendency creates a counter-trend. Furthermore, it should be stressed that, in many instances, tendencies are assorted: Assorted in footings of their stage of development, assorted in consequences and assorted in the degree of importance. Given this fact, it is about impossible to insulate touristry development into individual tendencies entirely.
The figure of individuals in older age classs will quickly increase. Seniors will be healthier and will hold higher disposable incomes than in the past. Many of them will bask early retirement strategies.In position of this development, the figure of more experient senior travelers will increase faster than the development of touristry demand in general ( although a gradual downgrading of pension benefits, and a tendency to increase the pensionable age may decelerate down this development in the long tally ) .Consequences for the touristry sector:
- Increasing demand for quality, convenience and security.
- Increasing demand for easy transit.
- Increasing demand for more restful amusement installations ( e.
g. golf classs etc. ) .
- Increasing demand for one -person merchandises.
- More demand in shoulder months.
- In selling, less accent should be put on age and more on comfort.
The mean figure of individuals per family will diminish still further, which will ensue in higher disposable incomes and passing power. For touristry, this will act upon demand in general, and demand for long-haul travel and short interruptions in peculiar.Consequences for the touristry sector:
- Increasing demand for luxury ( ‘small indulgences ‘ ) .
- Increasing demand for particular merchandises which can be obtained on urge.
- Increasing demand for metropolis -breaks and other short interruptions abroad – in periods that used to be less favoured.
- Higher degree of involvement in winter Sun vacations.
Health-consciousness will increase still farther.Though increasing health-consciousness will non act upon the volume of demand, it will surely act upon the decision-making with respect to finishs, and behavior during vacations.Consequences for the touristry sector:
- Finishs that are perceived as less healthy will be more rapidly avoided than in the yesteryear.
- The demand for sun-holidays merely will diminish still further.
- Active or activity vacations will increase in popularity, and the demand for installations that correspond to this type of vacation will be progressively preferred.
- The demand for ‘wellness ‘ merchandises will increase, including watering place and fittingness Centres.
& lt ;
AWARENESS & A ; EDUCATION
The mean degree of instruction is increasing.This will res ult in holidaymaking in which the humanistic disciplines, civilization and history play a more of import function, including more educational and religious holidaymaking.
Consequences for the touristry sector:
- Increasing demand for particular merchandises.
- The more outstanding inclusion of elements associating to the humanistic disciplines, civilization and history in bundle Tourss and self-organised vacations.
- The demand for better and more originative communicating of information.
- Demand for new finishs in Central and Eastern Europe will increase.
Modern society exerts increasing force per unit area on peoples ‘ day-to-day lives, and stimulates the want for more leisure clip and relaxation – which will hold an inauspicious consequence on the addition of free disposable incomes. For touristry, this tendency is therefore by definition unfavorable – besides because the addition in the figure of yearss of paid leave for holidaymaking has come to a arrest.
Consequences for the touristry sector:
- An increasing demand to provide extra low-cost merchandises.
- An increasing demand to offer relaxation.
- A shortening of the longer chief vacation in favor of more short 1s.
More sophisticated consumers are progressively self-confident sing their demands and rights.For touristry, this consequences in an progressively critical attitude to quality, and to the price-quality ratio.
Consequences for the touristry sector:
- Alternative ways of disbursement clip and money will progressively vie with holidaymaking, and within holidaymaking the penchants for finishs and adjustment.
- Finishs that do non run into up to acceptable criterions will endure more intensely, and for a longer period of clip in future.
- More assorted behavior: this vacation simple, the following one epicurean – this twelvemonth longhaul, following twelvemonth short -haul.
- Holiday penchant will go more disconnected in future, and therefore influence repetition volumes.
- Destination fidelity will go on to diminish over the old ages.
- More experient tourers will progressively ensue in a more critical attitude to the unreal, in favor of greater genuineness – in peculiar with mention to emotional satisfaction and the demand to personalize ; unreal supply that does non separate itself from others ( e.
g. subject Parks ) will diminish in importance if it does non run into with higher criterions.
- Experience and critical attitudes will excite tourers to revisit satisfactory finishs from their travel past.
- The increasing penchant for mobility will excite leases of autos, motors and motorcycles.
- Regions that offer a full, varied, wholly balanced construct will be progressively preferred, and will demand better finish direction.
Life styles in Western society alteration bit by bit.For touristry, this influences the tourer ‘s perceptual experience of his/her personal demands and behavior.Consequences for the touristry sector:
- Though relevant investings may be made, the involvement in ‘Bed & A ; Breakfast ‘ is decreasing, since it is regarded as cheap.
- As ‘status ‘ is less of import than it used to be, leisure behavior is going more individualized, prima to increased demand for smaller sized adjustment units ( like smaller reliable household hotels and tourer farms ) .
- The displacement in perceptual experience sing life and lifestyle consequences in a diminution in the demand for to the full escorted Tourss.
- Suppliers will profit more if they are able to make wholly new merchandises, constructs and services that distinguish themselves by their added value.
- Increasing specialization by providers in relation to specific avocations and involvements will go more of import, and will more frequently be combined with holidaymaking.
- The increased penchant for solid ‘anchors ‘ as secure holds in a more unsure universe stimulates the wish to possess 2nd places, besides in countries near to smaller regional airdromes.
- The tendency of ‘back to rudimentss ‘ consequences in penchants for more simple vacations: from hotel to bungalow, from train to collapsible shelter.
The incursion of the cyberspace – and its usage for information and the buying of touristry merchandises and services – will go on to increase. For touristry, the function of the cyberspace – including new agencies of ocular presentation – will increase still farther, and will turn out to be of the extreme importance in future.Consequences for the touristry sector:
- The ready handiness of tourer information on finishs and merchandises, and progressively sophisticated hunt engines to analyze such information will impart itself to comparison, and therefore influence competition more intensively via ‘grazing ‘ .
- Experienced tourers will progressively set together their ain vacations on a modular footing with direct engagements.
- The function of travel agents will diminish, as full bundle Tourss are progressively bought straight via the net.
- Internet will transform the classical function of the National Tourism Organisations ( NTOs ) and Tourist Boards at an increasing velocity – but will make a new function in e-marketing, including the application of Customer Relation Management ( CRM ) finish selling.
- Finish selling ( e.g.
better branding with public support ) will increase in importance as the beginning to excite website visits.
- The handiness of in-depth information on providers ‘ merchandises, either on the finish site or accessible through links, will go of more importance as the basic stipulation for the success of web sites.
- The possibility of ‘shopping ‘ via the inter cyberspace will excite ulterior engagements.
- The turning demand for unafraid online reserves has to be stressed in relation to more experient and self-confident tourers.
The increasing handiness of high-velocity trains and low-priced bearers will act upon classical travel flows. Road traffic will confront more congestion.Consequences for the touristry sector:
- Finishs will progressively profit from easy and low-cost entree for short interruptions – in peculiar when major events are organised outside of the chief season.
- The increasing handiness of direct links by train and plane will excite demand for international short interruptions in metropoliss and metropolis parts, to the hurt of rural countries.
- The usage of high-speed trains for medium distances will take over a big proportion of the travel presently undertaken by scheduled air hoses.
- Road congestion will negatively act upon conveyance by private auto – in peculiar in the high season.
- Coach trips will diminish in importance.
- Barriers which result from non-adapted agendas or inter-modal transit which is non optimally connected will hold a stronger negative influence on finishs that can non run into the turning wish for easy handiness.
- Cruises – non merely expensive sails, but besides those in ‘budget -class ‘ – will increase in popularity, in peculiar for those over 50 old ages of age.
Environmental consciousness will go on to increase. For touristry, this will ensue in more demand for sustainable finishs, in which nature and population will play an progressively outstanding function.
In order to extenuate the costs for sustainability, the monetary value will progressively be passed on to the tourers themselves.Consequences for the touristry sector:
- The regional constituent in finishs will increase in importance.
- Destination direction policies need to be improved through more consistent and consistent planning.
- The penchant for finishs will be more strongly connected to the support given by the local population to welcoming increasing Numberss of visitants.
- Regions which have suffered from overbuilding ( peculiarly where this is non in maintaining with the natural landscape ) will progressively be rejected as attractive finishs.
- Eco-tourism should non be confused with sustainable touristry.
SAFETY & A ; SECURITY
Acts of terrorist act, regional wars, pollution and other crises have unluckily become facts of day-to-day life, and act upon the demand to experience safe and secure. In touristry, this consequences in an increased demand for safety and security, and in tourers avoiding finishs that are perceived as insecure.Consequences for the touristry sector:
- The quality of H2O ( in lakes and pools, but besides of tap H2O ) will increase in importance in the choice of the finish, and demands better protection.
- The more critical tourer will more rapidly do claims if the merchandise offered does non run into up to the expected criterions.
- The costs for vouching safety and security will quickly increase.
- 4. The industry should be better prepared to run into tourism demand more flexibly in periods of crisis.